How to fire your Itty-Bitty Shitty CommitteeApr 12, 2023
Ever get those little voices in your head?
The ones that chatter away and tell you you’re not good enough for this and that...
That’s your Itty-Bitty Shitty Committee
They’ve got nothing better to do than gossip and cast doubt in your mind.
They are the voices of our doubters and the ghosts of what we used to call ‘failures’.
They are your 3 am alarm call.
You know the things they tell you;
- “Why would someone like you be able to create an amazing life?”
- “Why would anyone believe that you're able to do this?”
- “Why would you give up your job to create your own business?”
- “Why do you think you’d ever be smart enough to fly a plane?”
Here’s what I say; “Why not?”
The IBSC are also at constant war with your gut feeling.
When your gut says, “Do it!” those voices will say, “Noooo, don’t, wait a bit longer, play it safe.”
Or when you’ve plucked up the courage to speak to that beautiful woman, they'll tell you, “Don’t be stupid; why would she be interested in you?”
So you’ve got to fire the Itty-Bitty Shitty Committee; they’ve taken up enough of your time and stopped you from grabbing too many opportunities. They have to go.
Here’s how I do it...
Every time those voices pipe up and start to weave their doubt, I full-on bitch slap them down by asking, “What’s the worst that could happen?”
If the worst outcome isn’t life-threatening, I go for it;
- I accepted a job offer in Australia without a clue how to make it happen
- I asked Jules out on a date
- I made a business pitch to a Formula 1 World Champion
- I flew my first solo
- I gave up my career to start my own business
- I give us 90 days to pack up our entire lives and move to a new country
- I Stood on stage in front of a live audience of 500 people
- I jumped off a pier into huge, dark waves for my first surf session
The IBSC tried to talk me out of it every time, but I didn't listen. Imagine how dull my life would be if I had.
So hear me: You are worthy, you are capable, you belong.
Don’t let those voices in your head stop you from pushing through your comfort zone, making changes and creating an amazing life.
Now go fire your Itty-Bitty Shitty Committee - we have better work to do my friend 😊
Want more inspiration like this?
Hop on the mailing list and receive the latest news, views and blogs from ONE LIFE.
We 100% respect your privacy. We'll never share your information with anyone else.